Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Details, details. It's all about the details.

Now on to fun details about my little baby's big boy's room that was featured in Southern Living.  The photos for the magazine were actually shot when he was 9 months old.  It wasn't published until exactly one year later.  I didn't have this blog at the time.  So, I'm just now posting about it.  You can read the before post here.

(1)
{cover}

(2)
{page 1}

(3)
{page 2}

(4)
{page 3}

(5)
{page 4}

Here are some other pictures that I took once the nursery was completely before he arrived.  They are not so great!  The lighting was terrible, as was my picture taking.  For those who don't know, we waited until our first born's birth day to find out if he was a boy or girl!  So, our goal was to create a gender neutral nursery.

(6)

(7)

Details:
paint color - Willow Branch, Valspar
flooring, JT put in himself - color is Woodstock, from Lumber Liquidators
wall ledge - dental moulding from Lowe's with piece of wood on top of it --- you can see detail pictures of the process here.
color above wall ledge - it as just bright white from Lowe's in glossy
crown moulding - regular moulding from Lowe's --- JT installed it himself
bed - Pottery Barn Claudia bed in antique white, twin size
dust ruffle - plain white gathered dust ruffle from Target in which I attached a ribbon around bottom --- you can read about that here, where I used it in my daughter's room too.
white quilt - Target
throw pillows on twin bed - I can't remember the names of these fabrics, but the toile if from Calico Corner in Birmingham and the polka dot from Storkland in Birmingham (my mother-in-law hand made everything in the room)
rug - pottery barn kids Avery rug
side table - Hobby Lobby (on clearence fro $16.99!!!)  a question I get often is did I pain the green on to match --- no, it came that way!
rocker/glider - not sure the exact name of this glider, but it came from Polka Tots in Starkville, MS and the brand is Best Chairs --- color - Oatmeal Linen
lamp - pottery barn kids Penelope shade and Payton base
baskets - Pier One
crib skit - green/white small check fabric from Calico Corner in Birmingham
crib bumper - toile and white chinelle
crib mobile - pottery barn kids, farm animal mobile
crib - BabiesRUs
white picture frames - Hobby Lobby (I actaully covered the matt boards with toile leftoever fabric
armoire - Pottery Barn knockoff my sister had made for her little girl --- you can see the before pictures here --- JT totally gutted it and refinished it
baskets inside armoire - BabiesRUs
wooden name letters on ledge - Hobby Lobby, I painted them brown
dolls sitting by name - JT's when he was a child, given to us by his mother :)
foot stool - made by JT --- legs from Lowe's --- cover made by my mother-in-law

I just have to note that all the stuffed animals sitting around at the top of the room are NOT ours!  To be honest, I was a little upset that the "designers" put so many up there.  The 3 in the left hand corner (holding hands) are ours and sat up there all the time.  The rest - not ours!  They staged the room and I have to say, I was going a little crazy.  I don't like character plush, so I drew the line when they were about to set a Whinnie the Pooh doll on the ledge!  I polietly told him that if he was trying to make the room look how I would decorate it, that's not how! :)

Hope you enjoyed!  I will be glad to answer any other questions.  I'm sure I left something out.

images 1,2,3,4,5 - Southern Living magazine

Labels: , ,

11 Comments:

At August 11, 2010 at 11:10 AM , Anonymous The Diaper Diaries said...

Absolutely gorgeous. Now my nursery is just lame ;) Anywho, thanks for the shout out. I actually added you to my reader after the blog hop as well!!

 
At August 11, 2010 at 4:16 PM , Anonymous paula said...

so gorgeous. I bet you still miss it.

 
At August 11, 2010 at 7:27 PM , Anonymous tracie @ {tsj} photography said...

love everything about this post!

 
At August 11, 2010 at 8:48 PM , Anonymous Brooke said...

What a great write up! Your nursury is beautiful.. sniff, sniff... it reminds me so much of our old nursery that got distroyed last weekend! They grow up so fast.
Okay, I will stop.
Anyway, love the article. You are one mean decorator!

 
At September 29, 2010 at 8:37 AM , Anonymous simply seleta said...

This is GORGEOUS!!! You're so talented, Catherine. So glad we met!

 
At October 23, 2010 at 1:11 PM , Anonymous Amy R. said...

Wow! This really cool that you were featured in Southern Living. I have heard about the staging before, changing and adding things that you would not have included. I think that would be difficult. Lovely room. How did SL contact you to be in the magazine? I have a friend who's mom was in Traditional Home many years ago. She said the experience was not what you would think it would be, she was super stressed.

Amy R.

 
At November 3, 2010 at 5:15 AM , Anonymous Lili said...

Beautiful!!

 
At November 6, 2010 at 8:29 PM , Anonymous {BlueEyedYonder} said...

What a precious room! So awesome to be featured in a magazine. Reading this post, I was totally feeling you on the whole "staging" thing. It would be hard for me to sit back and let them take over too. Nevertheless, amazing room, amazing work!

 
At November 15, 2010 at 9:20 AM , Anonymous GabbyRM said...

I love it!

 
At November 15, 2010 at 2:49 PM , Anonymous orchidlanedecor.com said...

Hi, just popped over from Design Dazzle, lovely room!
Suzy xxx

 
At February 24, 2011 at 6:23 AM , Blogger Kristin @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia said...

How crazy is this, I remember looking at your beautiful room in the magazine, it's just gorgeous!!!!
XOXO
Kristin

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home